Monday, October 29, 2007

Ashes to ashes and such

Going along with my last post on famous corpses, here's another dismal topic to discuss: funerals.

Apparently there is a new trend that is going around for "green funerals." There is no embalming, and bodies are buried in plain wooden boxes so that they decompose as quickly as possible. There are even about six cemeteries that are specifically "green-only," known as "eco-cemeteries," two of which are in Maine.

Not only is this type of burial friendly to the environment, but it costs a lot less than a traditional burial. From a story in the Portland Post Herald, funerals that use the embalming process and other modern techniques can cost around $10,000, while a green burial can cost around $1,000 to $2,000 or less. The cremation they for one woman's mother they used as an example cost $350.

Some people disagree with "green funerals," citing health concerns that the embalming process takes care of, and saying that some people would prefer their loved ones to be preserved as long as possible. Another practical reason is that in some places the ground freezes in the winter, making it hard to dig graves, and as such the bodies are embalmed and stored to be buried when the ground thaws.

So the question is, how would you like your body to be treated when you kick the bucket? I've never really had a problem with whatever happened to my body, be it burial or cremation, or even being sunk to the bottom of the sea or eaten by wild animals. My view is, I don't need it anymore, so who cares? But I know some people will differ. For example, my mom can't bear the thought of being cremated. As far as funerals go, I like the idea of a New Orleans jazz funeral. But like I said, it won't matter to me. I guess when it comes down to it, if I had to chose something for whatever relatives I had still living to do with my body, I would say do whatever's cheapest. Don't bother with the expensive caskets and other junk; chuck my body in the ground in a plastic bag. Sure, some of the funeral proceedings are for the benefit of those still living, but don't overdo it.

So how about you? What do you want done, and why? Leave an answer in the comments. I'm interested to hear what people say.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, October 30, 2007, Blogger DM said...

I'm with you - do whatever is cheapest. It is crazy how much caskets and all the trappings for an all-out funural cost!

I guess you're an organ donor, too? That's another thing that seems like a no-brainer to me.

 
At 8:53 AM, October 30, 2007, Blogger Jeremy said...

Yeah, I'm an organ donor, especially because it was so easy - they just asked me when I got my driver's license so I said sure. I'm not going to need them! :)

 
At 6:44 PM, October 31, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give me a fiery Viking burial at sea or nothing at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home