Saturday, October 20, 2007

Time to ruin a book series for virtually everyone I know ...

So, it is official. J. K. Rowling revealed that in the Harry Potter series, Dumbledore is, in fact, gay.

On a book tour, a kid asked her if Dumbledore ever found "true love," according to the AP story, and she replied that he was gay. He had been in love with the wizard Gellert Grindelwald, who became evil and Dumbledore was forced to battle and defeat.

Apparently, there was a reference in the script of the sixth movie about a girl that Dumbledore had liked in the past, and she told the director to take it out. The article goes on to say that fans pointed out "that he has no close relationship with women and a mysterious, troubled past."

Well, I agree with Rowling: this just gives conservative Christian groups one more reason to dislike the books. While I enjoyed the books, I'm very disappointed in this, and that I heard about it. I guess I'll spread that disappointment to anyone who happens to read this.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, October 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have got to be kidding me...

That's so gay.

Ha.

 
At 4:53 PM, October 20, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On this topic, I read an article last month where Rowling had received critcism for making the seven-book series too "hetero-normative." This led me to wonder if she added Dumbledore's penchant for men as a reaction to the flak, but she usually plans everything so far in advance that this seems unlikely.

 
At 7:02 PM, October 21, 2007, Blogger DM said...

If conservative Christians had their way, Voldemort would be gay. Because, after all, homosexuals are probably the most evil challenge to God-fearing, democracy-loving people everywhere, right?

I was rather surprised by this revelation, but I don't think it really matters very much.

 
At 7:38 PM, October 21, 2007, Blogger Jeremy said...

No, it doesn't matter much to the story; it just changes people's perspectives on the events and actions. For me, I would prefer him not to be gay, but when I eventually read through the series again (as I assume I will at some point), I don't think it will change much. It was just a sort of stupid thing for her to do.

 
At 12:35 PM, October 22, 2007, Blogger DM said...

Maybe it's good because it shows society (even if it is a work of fiction) that individuals with homosexual attractions are not always evil incarnate. They don't have to be sex-crazed, perverted, child-molesting, atheistic lunatics. They can be good, even great people.

 
At 12:50 PM, October 22, 2007, Blogger Jeremy said...

Yeah, that whole "love the sinner, hate the sin" thing. I'm fine with that, but overall, I just don't see what it adds to the book. I tend to see people separate and apart from their sins, but when it's something that big (as in, personality-shaping, not worse than another sin), it's hard not to view the person or character differently, and in a way, you have to, for good or bad. I liked the view I had of Dumbledore; now, I will be forced to view him through the lens of his homosexuality. It doesn't mean that I'll all of a sudden hate the character, or the books, but it will be different, and I think that's reflected in reality when you learn something like that about a real person.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home