Sunday, February 04, 2007

Firefox

After listening to all the hype for a year or two, I've decided to give FireFox the old college try ("doesn't that involve a lot of alcohol?"). I was planning on discussing in this post how I plan on doing this, and what my testing will entail, all that jazz, but right now I have one question: IS THERE ANY WAY TO FREAKING CHANGE THE WAY FAVORITES/BOOKMARKS ARE SET UP?

There are a couple features I have enjoyed in the 5 minutes I've been using it, such as it underlining "alchohol" in red when I spelled it like that accidentally, but that is one thing that will completely kill my experience. If I can't find a way to get folders set up and do something other than a drop-down menu for my favorites, I'm am definitely going back to Internet Explorer 7.0, which I enjoy very much. So now is your time, all you John Edwards of FireFox: if you want to win another convert, help me out here.

Another feature I just discovered is missing, at least from my basic version right now (I haven't installed add-ons yet), is a way to open a new tab without going through the menu or hitting ctrl-t. I know that seems really simple, but I've gotten used to just reaching up with my mouse and hitting the button to open a new tab in IE, especially when I'm going to have to use the mouse to put the cursor in the Google search box anyway like I was when I was trying to remember who preached "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" for my previous reference. One thing I did like was the suggestions that dropped down in the Google search box. I only had to type "sinners i" before "sinners in the hands of an angry God" was the first suggestion.

So give me something here. FireFox users (and I know at least one of my 4 or so readers is one), tell me what I should do. Tell what you like about it, and some cool add-ons to grab (I've seen some good ones, and that's one of the things that would be a big factor if I do end up switching). I'll use it on and off for a bit, but unless something can be done about my favorites, this trial is dead before it's started. I use them way too much to surf around to just give them up, and I really like the way they're set up in IE.

-edit-
After I wrote this post, I messed around with options and found the option to show the tab bar all the time, which makes it slightly easier to open a new tab with the mouse, but still not the way I want it. I have to right-click and select "New Tab," instead of just clicking a new button, like I want. That probably won't be a deciding factor in my decision, especially since I discovered that, but it will color my view of the entire browser.
-30-

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, February 04, 2007, Blogger Chad Gardner said...

I've been using Firefox for several years and love it. I rarely touch IE anymore. The program is not as complicated as IE, so Firefox loads a lot faster. I also enjoy the ability to use Plug-ins. Here are the plug-ins I use:

Bloglines - this is my blog aggregator. Whenever I see a blog I want to subscribe too, I just click a button and voila! I'm subscribed.

UnPlug - Have you ever seen a video on a web-page that you wanted to rip off, but didn't know how to find the source file? When you click on the "UnPlug" button, it searches the page for video content and then tells you where the source file is located. You can then click on the source file and download the video to your hard drive. Sweet action!

Those are just a few.

 
At 12:48 PM, February 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on Kelsey's laptop right now which is a Mac Powerbook and colors my current Firefox experience, but when I can get back to my Windows machine, I will show you the light of the Fox and help you figure a few of these things out that you already do in IE7.

Before I go into my more lengthy, second comment later, try double clicking the tab bar where there isn't a tab right now and see if it opens a new tab for you.

I'll be back.

 
At 1:03 PM, February 04, 2007, Blogger Jeremy said...

Well, that works, but I still like IE's better. But it is sufficient. Now about the favorites... :)

And Chad, UnPlug look pretty interesting. I'll probably check it out.

 
At 3:05 PM, February 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Essential Scripts:

Adblock Plus - Install and subscribe to North America and never see an onscreen ad again.

NoScript - Install and control who accesses your cookies and can run javascripts in your browser. Complete internet security from phishers and adware/spyware

IE Tab - Display current window using IE rendering to access pages that won't display properly in Firefox (Pipeline, Launchcast, Microsoft).

Foxytunes - Displays song information and allows you basic control of iTunes without minimizing your browser.

Full Screen Homestar Runner - Do I have to explain this one? ;-)

Now then, more geekier reasons to use Firefox:

- Better Security. Internet Explorer, not only being a larger target for phishers and scammers, is also more full of holes than a swiss cheese. Firefox's code is both more secure, and gain's additional security through minor anonymity.

- More CSS Compliant. CSS is the way that browsers dsiplay the html, xml, and other formatting languages that webpages use. CSS compliancy within a browser is important if you want to be able to properly view all webpages written with using those common formatting languages. IE7 is about 30-some-odd percent CSS compliant. Firefox is over 90 percent CSS compliant.

- More customizable. Obviously you've seen the add-ons, but did you know that you cna set Firefox to have specific tabs open to specific pages when you start up, much how you have a home page? You can also customize your bookmarks into folders and display those folders in a bookmarks toolbar right under the adddress bar (or wherver) to easily organize and access them from day-to-day. For instance, I keep all of my webcomic links in one folder, and when I want to read them I click the Webcomic folder and then click the 'Open in Tabs' option. This way they are all loaded simultaneously while I read the first one, and can just read through them with no loading times in between. I also use that feature for blogs, news sites, and flash sites I frequent.

In summation, don't give in to IE7. Embrace the Fox. If you want more detailed help, just call me adn I'll come over to your dorm and help you get going.

- Drew

 
At 10:38 PM, February 04, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! Another awesome extension!

- Foxmarks! Save your custom bookmark profile and access it from any computer on which you happen to be logged! (grammar?) Awesome when you have a stack of custom bookmarks like me!

 
At 10:09 PM, February 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Hammes and his kind force me to use Firefox for WebCT or Blackboard or whatever obscene name we have for it now, and I want to kill myself. Firefox is not my friend. Firefox made a pact with the Devil.

This is, of course, coming from the guy who hates Google, so I'm not expecting much agreement...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home