Friday, December 29, 2006

I'm finally writing for an actual news organization online

I've signed up to be a writer at the Blogger News Network. It's a news site (obviously) that has a lot of different people that write about current news, whether by writing about things themselves or summarizing other articles (basically blogging about them). We can write about anything, be it world, national or local or whatever else, and I actually get paid for it. It's not much, maybe like $.20 an article at the moment, but the pay's not the reason I'm doing it. Now, I can actually write for something other than a personal blog with some regularity, and I get maybe 200 views for each article I write, as long as it's fairly interesting, plus I get plenty of practice writing and who knows, maybe it will help my resume or something if I write a ton of stuff.

The way it's set up is the guy who runs it takes 30% of the revenue from ads and junk each month to run the site, pay for bandwidth and any other costs, etc., and to pay himself. Then he splits up the remaining 70% among all the writers depending on how much they wrote that month. If the site gets bigger and bigger as he plans it to, then the pay could increase to even $5 an article (which would be very nice for part time blogging), but that'll probably be a couple years, at least. Anyway, I'm just enjoying writing for it, even though I've only written 2 things so far, and they've both been "blog style" (article summaries, although I did bring several articles together into one concise entry, so it's a bit different). Oh, another cool thing is we still have the copy write for whatever we write, so we can post it wherever we want, so I'll be posting anything I write for that here. The story below about food from cloned animals is one I just wrote, and I also wrote something the other day about an earthquake off Taiwan and the fears people had about another tsunami an the 2 year anniversary of the big one, which can be read here, if you're interested.

If you end up reading anything on Blogger News Network, everything I've written is under my own name. Depending on when you look, my latest stuff might not be up, because until I've written several things there's a delay in posting my articles for them to be looked over. Once they know I can actually string a couple words together, then my posts will go up automatically. I would actually recommend looking at the site and seeing if you like it, because it seems a pretty good place for news. The front page is just a list of all the recently written stories, which are about any and everything going on. You can get both the facts and editorial content there. Plus, the more people that visit the site, the more money I maybe get. :) The ads are just down the left hand side and at the bottom, so they're out of the way. Well, just check it out if you're interested.

Oh, and if you have any ideas for a story, something local or something you saw online or whatever that you think will be interesting, or that you just for some reason want my take on, hit me up with a comment about it. The more stuff Jeremy has to write about, the happier he be.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home