Sunday, December 24, 2006

The Mystical Landscapes of Gregory Euclide

I recently stumbled upon the website of Gregory Euclide, a landscape artist from the Midwest with a very unique style and way of expression. His paintings just captured my attention and imagination. They're not linear in any fashion, and flow in and out of themselves. From his statement of intent on his website:

...my work is largely influenced by the dramatic changes in the seasons...The rhythm of growth and decay has made a strong impression on me; the process and content of my work has come to reflect this unique evolution of complex systems in the landscapes as well as in every aspect of the natural world.


It attempts to show the nexus between the past and the present as a set of innumerable action/reaction occurrences. This idea is informed by my research in quantum physics...history is too vast to be known and the potential is capricious.


Because no two circumstances in nature have ever been the same, every action and motion is original and can never be repeated. I begin each work with a chaotic gesture, which underscores the apparent structure of nature. The creation of the initial gesture becomes the foundation on which a set of elements can evolve into a system.


I think what he says in there is why I like his work. I'm very interested in chaos theory, which has a large sensitivity to initial conditions, and shows emergent structure, just as he describes his art. Complex systems are fascinating, from things like the weather to a bee hive to a city of humans. Due to the effects of organisms on the systems, complex systems are unpredictable and adaptable.


Click on the image to see a bigger size of it; due to space restrictions here I had to keep it small and sort of cramped.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:44 AM, December 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, was that paragraph about Chaos Theory straight out of your 204 paper? ;)

 
At 3:02 PM, December 27, 2006, Blogger Jeremy said...

Haha, no, it's just what I thought about when I read that stuff on his site. But 204 did influence it, because before that class I would have said the same thing, just I wouldn't have used the words "emergent structure" or the example of a bee hive. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home